Sounds weird doesn’t it? Follow the recipe & you will know how delicious it is.
Ever since I saw the movie “Julie & Julia”, I wondered how I would feel to own Julia Child’s book “Mastering the art of French Cooking”. Surprisingly, my hubby gifted me with a copy of the book last Saturday on our first wedding anniversary. I opened it immediately & started browsing through. I was a bit disappointed as I wouldn’t be able to cook any Entrees being a vegetarian. But, there are so many other recipes & techniques to learn. It’s like an encyclopedia of cooking. Overjoyed I thought of trying out a soup recipe yesterday. Like my mom, I love soups and sandwiches. And after reading Julia’s first line on soups “There is not a man alive who doesn’t adore Soup”, I lost all fear. My husband is not a soup person but was delighted after taking the first sip. Julia’s recipe was for Cauliflower & Watercress soup. Since I did not find watercress in our local store, I substituted it with the fresh Fenugreek leaves I brought last week. Also, I missed adding flour as the second step & compensated by adding half a mashed potato 🙂 to thicken the soup.
My mom cooked a variety of dishes & was always excited to try new recipes. In her days, she used to exchange recipes with her friends & maintained them in writing. Sometimes, I wonder how she would have felt about reading recipes online or receiving a French cookbook. But then she appears by my side while cooking and I see her getting ecstatic about the dish.
- Cauliflower cut in florets – 2 cups
- Fenugreek leaves (Methi) – 1 cup
- Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
- Mashed potato – 1/2 cup or half (if using baking potatoes)
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – 1tsp or add more according to taste
- White pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – 2 Tbs
- Half & half (not mandatory) – a few tsps
- Melt butter in a container & sauté the onions for a min or until soft (pink not brown).
- Add water & simmer.
- In a separate container, bring water to boil & add cauliflower florets. Cook for 2 mins in boiling water and remove.
- Add the cauliflower to the soup base & simmer for 15 mins.
- In the mean time, separate the fenugreek leaves from stem, chop & keep aside.
- Add fenugreek to soup base after 15 mins of step 4 & simmer for 10 mins.
- Purée the soup in a blender.
- Melt 1/2 tbs of butter & add mashed potato. Cook for 2 mins and add the puréed soup.
- Add salt & white pepper.
- Just before serving, add a tsp of half & half.
Serve with a veggie panini or garlic bread. Njoy!