Ever since we bought a bread machine (during Thanksgiving), I have been making my own bread. It took me a while to start using it but now I make one loaf a week. It serves as a quick breadfast during busy weekday mornings. I make coffee, put my toast or sweet bread in a zip lock bag and off we go. Breakfast time is a stop at red lights (So, thankful for them ;)). So, this week I changed a few ingredients in the quick bread recipe and viola a healthy fruit+veggies breakfast bread. Below is the recipe. It is for Sunbeam bread machine but can be made traditional way too.
- 1 large red delicious apple chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 Tbs chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs beaten (You can substitute with flax meal)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. chai masala
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Recipe: Bread Machine:
- In a small bowl combine apple and almond, set aside.
- Spray bread pan and kneading blade with non-stick cooking spray and attach the kneading blade to the pan.
- Place the ingredients in bread pan in following order: eggs, oil, flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, chai masala and salt. Add the shredded carrots and then the apple almond mix.
- Place the pan in bread machine, select quick bread setting and start.
- Beat the eggs in a container. Now, Add oil and sugar to the eggs and mix.
- In another container, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, chai masala and salt (all dry ingredients).
- Add shredded carrots, apple and almond to the dry mixture made in step 2.
- Now, thoroughly mix the wet ingredients (step 1) with dry. Add a little oil if required. You should have a thick batter like consistency.
- Pour the mix in a bread or cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 mins.
- Check the center of the bread with a toothpick or fork.
Tips: You can substitute Carrot with Zucchini for incorporating a different veggie in your diet.
I have also made blackberry and apple bread with this recipe. I substituted eggs with flax meal (but used 2 cups AP flour) and it tasted yum.
Enjoy with tea or coffee. Or as a dessert with some whipped cream. Happy Eating 🙂